Thursday, July 20, 2006

Happy Birthday to my first love

11 years ago I went to the hospital to be induced because my stubborn baby didn't want to come out. Lamont was in Mississippi and was unable to come down so i just had my parents by my side. I was scared, frightened and 17 years old. I didn't know how I was going to take care of this baby, but I knew that I had to figure it out. I was about to become someone's mother. I didn't know if the baby I was about to have was a boy or girl. I secretly prayed for a girl, because being alone I thought that I would be able to raise a girl better. What I got was the most unexpected gift I have ever recieved in my life. After over 10 hours of hard labor, the doctor's decided to take the baby out by c-section. I went into the operating room and about 30 minutes later, they pulled my son out of me. When they announced he was a boy, my only thought was....thank you God. I knew that he was what i was supposed to have, he was perfect. When they brought him around the curtain, I was so amazed at how much he looked like Lamont. I cried and cried at what I had just done. I had brought a little person in this world. I was so terrified over the thought of being able to raise him properly. I knew there would be mistakes, but would they be big enough to damage him? Would not having a father there, be something that would define him? I felt sorry for him, sorry that I had decided at such a young age to become a mother. Sorry that he didn't have a more experienced mother to raise him. But all of that slowly went away when after a couple of hours they brought him to my room and I held him. I knew that with the support of my family, I would be able to do a good job. I knew that with how much I loved him, and how much my family loved him, he would be okay. He would grow up knowing that although he wasn't planned he was wanted, I wanted him, I fought to have him and now 11 years later I couldn't imagine a moment in my life without him. Because of him, his father and I are still together.....Happily together. Because of him we went on to have 3 more children. Because of him, I am the happiest mother I could have ever been. Because of him, his father and I are the people we are today. Because of him....I am who I am. He taught us responsibility, he taught us unconditional love, and he taught us that the best things in life are unexpected. I love you Anthonne, Happy Birthday to the first love of my life.

For some reason it's not letting me post pictures with this, so when I can I will post the pictures I took for his birthday....thanks for stopping by

No comments: